18 February 2014

lemon curd pinwheels



days till my first paper of the final exams: 3
level of preparedness (on a scale of 1-10): -15932093094

I don't exactly know what I'm doing based on the reality that it's NOT the holidays yet. This also just shows that I can never study at home. (i.e. I have to spend more $$ now)

Have been feasting and conducting fridge raids the entire day since it's now fully stocked from last night's grocery shopping trip. So on one of my hourly fridge raid I found my stashed-away-and-not-quite-sure-when-i'll-ever-use-it-again lemon curd (remember the prev. post?) and puff pastry in the freezer so I decided to use them up once and for all before my mom/dad sends it to the bin (they always send my perfectly edible stuff into the bin....then lecture me on my food wastage).

End result: lemon curd pinwheels!! Think I've eaten them somewhere before but I'm not very sure. This was mainly inspired by the pastry hacks that I saw on BuzzFeed once and decided to make some "sophisticated" ones myself.

They didn't turn out very sophisticated but I think they look perfectly beautiful and delicious anyway.




Ah what a gorgeous browned beauty





Recipe -
(Makes about 8 pinwheels - more if smaller))

375g puff pastry
1 egg + some water/cream/milk (for egg wash)
Some granulated sugar (for that crunch)
Lemon curd

1. Preheat oven to 175Âșc.
2. Roll your puff pastry dough out quite thinly (1 to 2mm thickness - I usually just go by touch)
3. Cut your dough into squares. Then slice a diagonal down each corner (read: BuzzFeed link above).
4. Spoon your lemon curd onto the middle. Take one corner of the triangle and drag it into the middle. Repeat with the other "triangles" you made with the diagonals.
5. Brush egg wash all over. Sprinkle sugar over.
6. Bake for 20 mins until golden brown.
7. Devour it.


This has been approved by some of my family members (and mind you they don't touch the food I make :-/)

Ok enjoy it!!! I'll TRY to get back into my books now.

No comments:

Post a Comment