4 March 2014

Happy Pancake Day!!




I've been following pancake day for a few years now - without ever making any actual pancakes (because I never figured how to make pancakes proper, nor did I ever bother to)

Basically, my first try at pancakes when I was younger totally scarred me for life (it was made out of a box mix and it tasted gross - because they said that I could just mix it with water......please).

The second time I decided to make pancakes (my friend made Nigella's pancake mix and gave me the entire jar of it for Christmas - Thanks Arista!) it was Nutella pancakes and it still turned out weird. I think what I hate about these mixes is that there's always too much baking soda (the aftertaste is horrible).

I've been subscribed to Jamie Oliver for awhile now and I was just watching his #mypancakeday videos on FoodTube and saw that his basic pancake recipe was basically foolproof and simple enough (no need for butter or what not - hurrah) so I decided to do it.

I wasn't intending to post these photos/blog about them but it was worth a 'Pancake Success Story' post to celebrate my first batch of pancakes that I've enjoyed.

There's nothing fancy nor crazy with the flavors in here because I'm not all great with making pancakes (and I wasn't very arsed to come up with something) so I made cinnamon pancakes using my leftover cinnamon-sugar mix from the last time I made cinnamon rolls.

This is so simple even a 10 year old me could've done it (instead of a box mix....)




Recipe:
(From Jamie Oliver)

I think this yielded almost 10 normal sized pancakes? (My brother kept stealing my pancakes before I was completely done with it)

1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup milk
1 egg
A pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar ('agaration' is key - if you're not Singaporean, agaration basically means estimation)
Butter/veg oil

1. Using a mug (I used a medium sized one), measure out your flour and milk (this recipe is basically no-measure which is perfect because I hate whipping out the scale).
2. Whisk all the ingredients (except butter/veg oil) together until smooth and no lumps are visible.
3. Heat your non-stick pan, brush pan with some butter/oil (I used coconut oil) and pour your batter. The size of your pancakes depends on whether you'd like it mini, super big, super thin and big, super thick, whatever you want. It's your pancake!! 
4. When bubbles have started to form on the top, flip it over.
5. Repeat process until all batter has been used. (Please don't waste food my dear friends)


Top your pancakes with whatever you like. Honey, maple syrup (or maple flavored syrup like me because you can't justify buying a bottle of pure maple syrup for >$15 to only use it rarely), yoghurt, fruits, bacon are some suggestions that I love.

Ok now, go enjoy your pancake day! I'm currently nursing my carb coma.

Too...many...pancakes...


Have you also seen my dance moves yet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment